Saturday, January 26, 2008

The story behind the yarn...



Here is my 2nd finished object of this month and this crazy possessed goal. It is a simple 2 by 2 ribbed pattern. The yarn is really special - it was a stress purchase about a year and 1/2 ago.

When I turned 40 it was no big deal. HOWEVER the day my oldest kids (yes twins) turned 13 I was not doing so well. So I went to a cool hand dyed yarn site and bought this pretty Salmon colored sock yarn.

Now I don't do sock - at least so far - I have tried once. Started a simple gray sock for my dear husband who has never received a hand knitted gift from me so far. I could not finish it... So this sat and sat around my house and I would look at it and adore the colors.... but had nothing in mind.

Then the resolution and part of it is to use lots of the yarn I have hanging around (my family room has 2 sets of stacked baskets with just yarn in them).

I love this scarf and it will go to a wonderful friend sometime.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeannie...i found my way here via Elizabeth's blog :o) First, congrats on starting a blog and second, i love the scarf. All those shades of pink are wonderful.

e.beck.artist said...

that scarf is gorgeous ..... i love that it is flat and sleek and smooth ..... quite different that the trendy scarves now that are all fiberfull fluffiness ... well done!

shrink on the couch said...

so sock is a type of yarn .. but i'm confused, were you knitting "a sock" for your husband or a scarf out of grey sock yarn for him? the pink scarf is nice, by the way. soft blend of color.

Anonymous said...

I knitted about 4 inches on the grey sock for my husband -- then left it alone for over a year.
There is alot of "sock" yarn out there - it is just enough yardage for a pair of socks.
It can be varing weights (thickness) and types (wool, acrylic or a blend).

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, is that scarf as warm and soft as it looks? I am betting it is! Nicely done. BTW, making it for a friend, huh? Well, I know a friend that adores you in New England..cold, snowy Massachusetts....just in case you were wondering! Hahahah!

Hugs

Anonymous said...

OOH! Pretty... and I had the privilege of getting to feel that lovely pink yarn when you were still working on the scarf... love it!! And it is soooo soft.
Lofty goal but just keep plugging away at it and enjoy it... Love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom! I'm glad you started a blog. Remind me to give you internet time now. :)
Anyway, good luck and I love you!

Brooke

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeannie

not too shabbie! congradulations on your site! I really am impressed.

rew