Wednesday, February 6, 2008

When? Where? Why?

I thought I would give you all (whoever is out there) a little bit of my knitting history. I learned to knit just about 5 years ago.

My first lessons came from my local knit store -- right there in the left column. I signed up for a class to start in the fall - one day about 2 months before the class started I had all 3 kids at camp for 5 days, so I went in to pick out needles and yarn. I told the gal there that I had the week to myself. She sat me right down and showed me how to cast on and do the knit stitch. I went home and knitted the whole scane of yarn. I came back the next day and she showed me how to add in another scane and then to bind off. So there I was in 2 days I had my first scarf!

Ever since then it was like I had found my calling. I have taken a few classes and meet some really good friends.

I love knitting for many reasons... it is calming, and it makes me slowdown. It is usually portable - I take it everywhere - doctor's offices, church meetings, I've even knit in the car waiting for my turn at the bank driveup window. At night while watching TV I feel like I am being productive. I think the best part is that it has allowed me to be creative!

1 comment:

e.beck.artist said...

i didn't realize you'd been knitting so long already!! it still feels new!!